Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Shout Out to Jo Dulan

I was in my African American literature class today, listening to Jo Dulan talk about the abuse women go through and I couldn't help but agree.  Jo Dulan has been such a wonderful roll model for women's rights, and especially the rights of African American women.

As my sisters of Salem and I protested the other day for more classes in the Race and Ethnicity major and Women's Studies majors, I realized how much Jo Dulan has really influenced me in a positive way.  We were asking for change at a progressive institution.  And even though we were met with much animosity and anger, so was the protests of Martin Luther King Jr. and Women's suffrage activists.

Jo Dulan, I just want to thank you.  I want to thank you for telling us how you pushed to teach another class within the English department this year.  I want to thank you for telling us that we were right to protest.  I want to thank you for supporting us and being there when we needed you most.

We couldn't have done this without your support.  You've shown us the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment